Evidence Against Common Pro-Choice Arguments
– There is no such thing as a safe abortion. One person is killed and the other is at risk for serious complications including mental harm, physical harm, and sometimes even death.
– “From the 1940s to the 1970s deaths of women due to abortion rapidly declined because of better medicine and increased use of antibiotics; not because abortion was made legal.”
– This lie that women were more likely to die from illegal abortions was developed by Larry Lader and Bernard Nathanson; the founders of Naral.
– “When we spoke of [deaths due to illegal abortion], it was always 5,000 to 10,000 per year. I confess I knew the figures were totally false.” – Bernard Nathanson
– In 1960 the director of Planned Parenthood, Mary Calderone, said “Abortion is no longer a dangerous procedure…In 1957 there were only 260 deaths in the whole country attributed to abortions of any kind.” “90 percent of all illegal abortions are presently being done by physicians.” These statements were made by a Planned Parenthood director before abortions became legal.
– The year before Roe V Wade (1972), 39 women died from illegal abortions and 24 died from legal abortions. The year of Roe V Wade (1973) 19 women died from illegal abortions and 25 died from legal abortions.
-”In the year that abortion was nationally legalized, more women died from legal abortion than illegal abortion.”
-Abortions result in many risks for the women’s health and well-being including: an increased risk of suicide, future infertility, pregnancy loss, and damage to her internal organs.
– (2019): The United states has the maternal mortality rate of 14 deaths per 100,000 live births. Poland (Abortion is illegal except in rare cases) has the maternal mortality rate of 3 deaths per 100,000 live births. Malta (Abortion is illegal without exception) has the maternal mortality rate of 9 deaths per 100,000 live births.